Head along to any cocktail event and you are guaranteed to run into a tray of arancini balls. Often a favourite at those events, and restaurants like Italian Street Kitchen, those soft little rice balls are sure an adaptive dish suitable for most occasions. We’ve tapped ISK to provide the recipe for their awesome Pumpkin Arancini so you can cook up a fresh batch at home.
Pumpkin Arancini (makes approx 100 mini balls)
- 1kg Rice Aborio/Carnaroli
- 2g bay leaf
- 200ml white wine
- 450g onions – chopped
- 15g garlic – crushed
- 500g pumpkin – cut in cubes
- 1.2 lt vegetable stock
- 300g cheese – parmesan or smoked provola
- 100g thyme – fresh
- 1.5kg breadcrumbs – panko
- 700g plain flour
- 12 eggs
- 100g unsalted butter
- 20g cooking salt
- 5g black pepper
1. Cook 1/2 onions and all the garlic until golden in some oil. Add cut pumpkin cubes and cook unit soft.
2. Add salt, pepper, bay leaves, 250 ml vegetable stock-blend until smooth. Set aside.
3. Fry rice and remaining onions for 4-5 minutes
4. Add white wine, remaining vegetable stock and pumpkin mixture and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Once rice is cold, add cheese and thyme and combine mix
6. Form into 50 gram balls Dredge each ball in flour-egg-breadcrumbs-eggs-breadcrumbs
7. Deep fry at 170c for 2-3 minutes.Drain on absorbent paper.
You can find these on the menu at Italian Street Kitchen in Sydney’s Neutral Bay. For the full menu head to their website HERE.
Image and recipe supplied.