In case you haven’t heard, the highly authoritative World’s 50 Best Restaurants ceremony is being held in Melbourne next week. Often referred to as the definitive ranking of culinary excellence across the globe, the anticipated list will be released on Wednesday 5th April after much deliberation by an anonymous panel made up of over 1,000 industry experts. But it doesn’t just stop at 50. A week out from the big reveal, the restaurants who made the cut from 51 to 100 have been revealed, featuring iconic dining destinations from 24 countries across six continents.
USA leads the pack with nine restaurants sitting on the list, a number tied by Asia which is represented by nine across five different countries. Spain and France count four entries each, while Australia has one (Sydney’s Quay at #95; which could mean that both Attica and Brae have made it into the top 50).
Quay’s inclusion in the top 100 comes after a long history with the list, where the famous restaurant first debuted at #46 back in 2009, moving up to #27 in 2010, then #26 in 2011, #29 in 2012, #48 in 2014, #58 in 2015, and #98 last year. Quay will possibly be going through a refurbishment early next year after being granted approval to negotiate a new lease.
“We are absolutely thrilled to be on the list again this year,” said chef Peter Gilmore. “It’s just such a huge privilege to be listed amongst such icons of the industry. We’re also incredibly grateful to the Quay team who work so hard every day. They’re the reason we’ve made it onto the list again.”
In total, 11 new entries have appeared from 51-100, speaking to a greater range and depth to the list, as well as diversity, something which has been credited to the wider reach of the voting Academy in 2017. Debuts include restaurants in Mexico, Russia, South Korea, Denmark and Brazil.
“As well as showcasing emerging talent and highlighting new culinary trends, this group also features perennial favourites that demonstrate enduring quality”, offered Group Editor of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants, William Drew. “Overall, the list reflects the diversity, promise and excitement surrounding global gastronomy”.
For those in Melbourne, The World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards ceremony will be live-streamed in Federation Square as everyone is invited to join in on the celebrations; celebrations which will spill over to a week-long program treating top visting chefs to the best in Australian dining from the country’s finest. The Federation Square event on 5th April will include food talks, music, comedy and food trucks.
The full list is as follows.
100. Olympe | Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (New Entry)
99. Florilège | Tokyo, Japan (New Entry)
98. Hedone | London, England
97. Sushi Saito | Tokyo, Japan (New Entry)
96. Epicure | Paris, France
95. Quay | Sydney, Australia
94. Kadeau | Copenhagan, Denmark (New Entry)
93. Le Chateaubriand | Paris, France
92. Twins | Moscow, Russia
91. St John | London, England
90. Manresa | Los Gatos, USA
89. Mingles | Seoul, Korea (New Entry)
88. Selfie | Moscow, Russia (New Entry)
87. Per Se | New York, USA
86. Odette | Singapore (New Entry)
85. Belcanto | Lisbon, Portugal
84. The Restaurant at Meadowood | St Helena, USA
83. Atelier Crenn | San Fransisco, USA (New Entry)
82. Chef’s Table At Brooklyn Fare | New York, USA
81. Maní | São Paulo, Brazil
80. Le Cinq | Paris, France
79. Maaemo | Oslo, Norway
78. Indian Accent | New Dehli, India
77. Martin Berasategui | Lasarte-Oria, Spain
76. Lasai | Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
75. Sud 777 | Mexico City, Mexico (New Entry)
74. The Jane | Antwerp, Belgium
73. La Colombe | Capte Town, South Africa
72. Schloss Schauenstein | Fürstenau, Switzerland
71. Lung King Heen | Hong Kong, China
70. Aqua | Wolfsburg, Germany
69. Hiša Franko | Kobarid, Slovenia (New Entry)
68. The French Laundry | Yountville, USA
67. Benu | San Fransisco, USA
66. Estela | New York, USA
65. Biko | Mexico City, Mexico
64. La Grenouillère | La Madelaine-sous- Montreuil
63. The Test Kitchen | Cape Town, South Africa
62. Quique Dacosta | Denia, Spain
61. Hertog Jan | Bruges, Belgium
60. 8 1/2 Otto e Mezzo Bombana | Hong Kong, China
59. Combal Zero | Rivoli, Italy
58. Momofuku Ko | New York, USA
57. Fäviken | Järpen, Sweden
56. Nerua | Bilbao, Spain
55. Disfrutar | Barcelona, Spain (New Entry)
54. Lyle’s | London, England
53. Burnt Ends | Singapore
52. Nihonryori RyuGin | Tokyo, Japan
51. Mikla | Istanbul, Turkey
For more information head to the official website HERE.
Image: Quay | http://finkgroup.com.au/