Following a recent trip to Japan, Neil Perry is debuting new food and drink items on the Saké menu that continue his mix of traditional Japanese food with the acclaimed restaurant’s contemporary approach, which is tweaked to suit each location across Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne.
Perry promises the new additions “focus on tradition while still being contemporary and fun and heroing everything that is celebrated about Japanese cuisine: produce, quality, seasonality and freshness.”
New additions include:
- Cape Grim short rib bo ssam: a Japanese twist on a traditional Korean dish with the addition of red miso and chilli, and a smack of umami from dashi-simmered confit garlic
- Glacier 51 Toothfish with miso butter: Glacier 51 Toothfish is glazed in a classic Japanese miso marinade, wrapped in bamboo leaf, roasted, unfurled in front of the guest and drizzled with miso butter
- Scampi tartare: slithers of exquisite scampi are marinated in soy, dotted with trout roe, sprinkled with togarashi and served on a texturally delicious konbu rice cracker
- Nori crisps tuna & kingfish: cubes of Marine Stewardship Certified tuna and kingfish are marinated in white soy and mirin, lifted with a touch of togarashi and served with green onion and a light sesame dressing
- Ginger garlic chicken: crisp-fried free range chicken and sprinkled with charred spring onions
Along with the food, the menu sees the addition of new cocktails and drinks that further complement the contemporary, Japanese fusion:
- Japanese Shoemaker: Amontillado sherry with rich and fruity loganberry jam and yuzu
- Sesame Yaki: Red rice sake with bitter vermouth, Italian cherry liqueur, vodka and citrus bitters with a drop of dark sesame oil
- Maple Leaf: house made grenadine spiced with shichimi and shaken with shiso, white rum and egg whites
The new menu is available at all Saké restaurants across Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. For all locations and more information give them a visit www.sakerestaurant.com.au.